IntroductionThis website, avaaz.org (along with all translated versions of which hereafter referred to as the “Site”) is operated by Avaaz (“We” or “Us”). Avaaz is the operating name of the “Avaaz Foundation,” a non-profit organization incorporated in the State of Delaware.
Avaaz will send you updates by e-mail. If at any time you would like to unsubscribe from our email list, you may do so by contacting [email protected] with the subject heading “unsubscribe.”
Your Personal InformationIn addition to the information you provide us, we collect certain additional information to help us improve our campaigns and to otherwise better serve our collective mission to close the gap between the world we have and the world most people everywhere want. We collect and use the following information:
- Information that you provide by filling in forms on our Website or participating online in our campaigns. This includes information provided at the time of registering as a member, signing petitions, sending messages through our site to campaign targets or others, or otherwise filling out forms on the Avaaz website. We may also ask you for information when you report a problem with our Website.
- Records and copies of your correspondence (including e-mail addresses), if you contact us.
- Your responses to surveys that we might ask you to complete for research purposes or to help direct our campaigns and activities, although you do not have to respond to them.
- Details of transactions you carry out through our Website if you are one of our members who generously support Avaaz financially and the work we do together.
- Certain information about usage of the Avaaz site, described below in the section on Data Tracking.
- Where from the world you hail and whether you tell others about Avaaz campaigns.
Third Party Administrators, such as organizations we engage to facilitate large distribution of messages. The content of these emails will be from Avaaz and these third parties do not have direct access to your personally identifiable information.
In addition, with your explicit permission, we pass along certain of your information to the following groups (as is standard practice):
- World leaders, news publications and other targets when you choose to use our email tool to send them messages.
- World leaders, news publications, and the general public when you sign petitions or complete surveys.
- Further information about how we use personal information in connection with particular types of campaigns is discussed below.
Petitions and SurveysFor petitions and surveys you've signed or completed, we treat your name, city, state, and comments as public information—for example, we may provide compilations of petitions, with your comments, to world leaders and other targets, or to the press. We will not make your street address publicly available, but we may transmit it to the designated target as part of a petition. This is a standard industry practice in such situations. In no such case will we disclose your email address or phone number, without your permission. We may also make your comments, along with your first name, city and state available to the press and public online. When you do give permission for us to share your email address as part of a campaign, Avaaz is not responsible for the content or use of your email address by campaign targets.
Sending Emails Via AvaazIn certain cases, we enable you to send individual e-mails to world leaders or other targets as well as Letters-to-the-Editor to various news publications, through our website. These messages are sent in your name, with your e-mail address as the return address and your full name and contact information is provided as part of the submission. These messages will only be sent out under your name as you approve them on an individual basis using our email tool. You are solely responsible for the specific message(s) you send using our email tool. Avaaz takes no responsibility for the content or use of your email address by campaign targets.
Financial DonationsIf you choose to make a donation to Avaaz, your credit card information will be used only for this transaction through our secure online payment system. Avaaz does not retain credit card information.
Member-Initiated PetitionsAvaaz enables its members to develop and run their own campaigns on our member-initiated petition site. Avaaz members run these campaigns under their own name and send them to friends, family and others to build a movement. If these petitions demonstrate the ability to generate significant support, Avaaz may send the petition on behalf of the whole Avaaz community to larger segments of our membership. When doing so, Avaaz may use the information the member who initiated the campaign has provided and may edit or modify it within our sole discretion. While members will bear primary responsibility for delivering their petitions to the petition targets, Avaaz also may choose to deliver member-initiated petitions to their targets in some instances.
When people sign on to support Avaaz members’ campaigns, Avaaz collects the information those signers provide in order to send those new participants information about future campaigns and otherwise to further the Avaaz mission. Those new participants can always choose to remain Avaaz members or to decline. Avaaz may also provide the emails of people who sign a member-initiated campaign to the member who initiated the campaign so that member can continue that campaign’s efforts. Whenever we do this, we will require that the member who initiated the campaign give signers an ability to opt-out of further emails from that member as a condition to receiving the emails of people who have signed that campaign. When members initiate their own campaigns, Avaaz may send thank you notes and other correspondence to people who participate in those campaigns on behalf of the Avaaz member who initiated the campaign or on behalf of Avaaz.
Data SecurityWhen you give Avaaz personal information, we take steps to ensure that your information is treated securely. Unfortunately, no data transmission over the Internet can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. As a result, while we strive to protect your personal information, Avaaz cannot ensure or warrant the security of any information you transmit to us, and you do so at your own risk. Once we receive your transmission, we make our best effort to ensure its security on our systems. The safety and security of your information also depends on you. Where we have given you (or where you have chosen) a password for access to certain parts of our Website, you are responsible for keeping this password confidential. We ask you not to share your password with anyone.
Under circumstances where we determine that members may be misusing our systems for malicious purposes (for example, using the numbers we provide to make harassing phone calls), such activities may be reported to law enforcement agencies. In such cases, Avaaz may release personally identifiable information, including name and address, to those agencies.
ChildrenAvaaz does not solicit nor knowingly collect personally identifying information from children. Visitors who are under 13 years of age should ask their parent or legal guardian for assistance when using the Site and should not submit any personally identifying information to the Site. For example, visitors under 13 years of age should not make donations, provide their name, address, contact information, or other information, or use the Avaaz email tool.
URLs contained in emails may contain an ID that enables us to correctly identify the person who takes an action using a web page. We use these URLs to simplify the process of signing petitions and filling out surveys. We may occasionally present a shortened URL that references a longer URL which contains an id—we do this to simplify the display, to prevent links from becoming broken when copied, and to ensure compatibility with email programs which do not handle long URLs. When a shortened URL is displayed in an email, you will see the full URL in the browser's address bar when you access the page.
Accessing and Correcting Your Personal InformationYou can review and update your personal information by logging into the Website and visiting your account profile page and making changes. If you have forgotten your password, once you have tried to register and failed, you can click on the "Forgot your password?" link to reach a page on which you can submit your e-mail address. Your user name and password then will be e-mailed to you.
ContactIf you have any questions about this privacy statement, your personal information, or the practices of this Site, you can contact [email protected]
Email from AvaazAvaaz will send you updates on this and other important campaigns by email. If at any time you would like to unsubscribe from our email list, you may do so by emailing [email protected] with "unsubscribe" in the subject heading.
The purpose of this website is to empower individuals to close the gap between the world we have and the world most people everywhere want.
Before using this website, however, you must agree to the following terms and conditions. These terms and conditions ensure, among other things, that you will use the website only in the ways in which it is intended to be used and to make clear what uses Avaaz either will not permit, will not be responsible for, or both.
Use by ChildrenAlthough we look forward to the next generation playing an active role in our civic life when the appropriate time comes, visitors who are under 13 years of age should ask their parent or legal guardian for assistance when using the Site and should not submit any personally identifying information to the Site. For example, visitors under 13 years of age should not create petitions or otherwise sign up to take actions on the Avaaz site. By using the tools provided on this Website, you represent and warrant that you are 13 years or older.
Accessing the Website and Account SecurityAlthough we hope to make this site available at all times into the future, there may come occasions when we need to disable the site either temporarily or permanently. You should therefore understand that we reserve the right to withdraw or amend this Website, and any service or material we provide on the Website. We may do this without notice and in our sole discretion. Please keep this in mind as Avaaz will not be liable if for any reason all or any part of the Website is unavailable at any time or for any period. From time to time, we may restrict access to some parts of the Website, or the entire Website, to users, including registered users.
Once you sign up to use the site, we may provide you with a user name, password or possibly other pieces of information as part of our security procedures. It is important that you treat such information as confidential, and you must not disclose it to any third party. Otherwise, a third party could use the site in ways in which it was not intended or in ways which violate these terms or otherwise cause harm to Avaaz, other users or in other ways. Should this happen, you agree to immediately notify Avaaz of any unauthorized use of your user name or password or any other breach of security. You also agree to ensure that you exit from your account at the end of each session. Please use particular caution when accessing your account from a public or shared computer or when using your account in a public space, such as a park or cafe or public library, so that others are not able to view or record your password or other personal information.
Avaaz TrademarksAlthough we want you to use the tools provided on this site to improve our world, Avaaz has to make sure that the Avaaz name and other associated names are not used for the wrong purposes. For that and other reasons, the Avaaz name, Avaaz logo and all related names, logos, product and service names, designs and slogans are trademarks of Avaaz or its affiliates or licensors. You may not use these names without the prior written permission of Avaaz. All other names, brands and marks that may appear on the site remain the property of their respective owners and appear here for identification purposes only.
- In any way that violates any applicable national, regional, federal, state, local and international law or regulation. For the purpose of exploiting, harming or attempting to exploit or harm minors in any way by exposing them to inappropriate content, asking for personally identifiable information or otherwise.
- To send, knowingly receive, upload, download, use or re-use any material which does not comply with the Content Standards set out in these Terms.
- To transmit, or procure the sending of, any advertising or promotional material, including any "junk mail", "chain letter" or "spam" or any other similar solicitation.
- To impersonate or attempt to impersonate Avaaz or an Avaaz employee, another user, or person or entity (including, without limitation, the use of e-mail addresses or screen names associated with any of the foregoing), or to register to use the site on behalf of any group or entity.
- To harvest or collect email addresses or other contact information of Users from the Service or the Site by electronic or other means for any purpose.
- To engage in any other conduct that restricts or inhibits anyone's use or enjoyment of the Website, or which, as determined by us, may harm Avaaz or users of the Website or expose them to liability.
- For any commercial purpose.
Additionally, you agree not to:
- Use the Website in any manner that could disable, overburden, damage, or impair the site or interfere with any other party's use of the Website, including their ability to engage in real time activities through the Website.
- Use any robot, spider or other automatic device, process or means to access the Website for any purpose, including to monitor or copy any of the material on the Website.
- Use any manual process to monitor or copy any of the material on the Website or for any other unauthorized purpose without our prior written consent.
- Use any device, software or routine that interferes with the proper working of the Website.
- Introduce any viruses, trojan horses, worms, logic bombs or other material which is malicious or technologically harmful.
- Attempt to gain unauthorized access to, interfere with, damage or disrupt any parts of the Website, the server on which the Website is stored, or any server, computer or database connected to the Website.
- Attack the Website via a denial-of-service attack or a distributed denial-of-service attack.
- Otherwise attempt to interfere with the proper working of the Website.
User ContributionsIn order to give you tools to make your voice heard and share ideas with others, the Website may contain online petitions, announcements, letter-writing tools, message boards, chat rooms, personal web pages or profiles, forums, bulletin boards and other interactive features (we will call these things "Interactive Services") that allow you to petition, post, submit, publish, display or transmit to other users or other members of the public (we’ll just refer to all of these acts as making a "post") content or materials (what we will call "User Contributions") on or through the Website.
All User Contributions must comply with the Content Standards set out in these Terms.
We will consider any User Contribution you post to the site non-confidential and we will treat it as not owned by you or anyone else. In order to further the mission of this site or the mission of Avaaz, we may use, copy, distribute or disclose this material to other parties.
In order to make sure we know that we can use this material in these and other ways, we will take your posting this material to mean that you confirm and warrant that you own or control all rights in and to the User Contributions and have the right to grant Avaaz and its affiliates the license to use this material as we discussed above.
You understand and acknowledge that you are responsible for any User Contributions you submit or contribute, and you, not Avaaz, have fully responsibility for such content, including its legality, reliability, accuracy and appropriateness.
Because the purpose of this website is to empower you and we cannot review everything that is posted to the website in advance, any content and/or opinions uploaded, expressed or submitted to the Website, and all articles and responses to questions and other content, other than the content provided by Avaaz, are solely the opinions and the responsibility of the person or entity submitting them and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Avaaz. We are not responsible, or liable to any third party, for the content or accuracy of any materials posted by you or any other user of the Website and you agree to bear full responsibility for the content you post to the website.
Monitoring and Enforcement; TerminationBecause the purpose of this site is to serve the Avaaz mission on behalf of the Avaaz community, in order to ensure that this website is used only for its intended purpose and that no use of the website endangers Avaaz’s broader mission, Avaaz has the right to:
- Remove or refuse to post any User Contributions for any or no reason. This is a decision Avaaz will strive to make fairly, but ultimately it is a decision that is solely up to Avaaz to make. It will be our general practice, however, to consult with our members including through randomized polling to determine what user contributions our membership views as advancing our mission. At all points in this process we will welcome feedback from the community on how we make these decisions as it is the community’s ability to achieve our mission that we are here to serve. But in the end, Avaaz has a legal obligation to ensure that all of our activities advance our mission and we therefore must reserve final judgment on upholding this requirement.
- Disclose your identity to any third party who claims that material posted by you violates their rights, including their intellectual property rights or their right to privacy. We will not do this lightly, but if we think it has the potential to facilitate a fair and just resolution of the dispute, or will protect Avaaz from liability for which we are not responsible, we may take this step.
- Take appropriate legal action, including without limitation, referral to law enforcement, for any illegal or unauthorized use of the Website when we determine law enforcement is the proper and appropriate means for addressing the offending use.
While we may attempt not to disclose material in response to overzealous or inappropriate requests, without limiting the foregoing, when we have a good faith belief that the law compels us to do so or when we think justice would be served, we may cooperate with law enforcement authorities or court order requesting or directing us to disclose the identity of anyone posting any materials on or through the Website. Should this happen, we will attempt to provide you with notice before we disclose your personal information to requesting third parties. Notwithstanding the foregoing, we believe you should have a reasonable expectation of privacy in materials you disclose through your Internet use that are not clearly intended for public dissemination. Where possible, we may attempt to defend this principle even though most jurisdictions currently take the opposition position. YOU WAIVE AND HOLD HARMLESS AVAAZ FROM ANY CLAIMS RESULTING FROM ANY ACTION TAKEN BY AVAAZ DURING OR AS A RESULT OF ITS INVESTIGATIONS AND FROM ANY ACTIONS TAKEN AS A CONSEQUENCE OF INVESTIGATIONS BY EITHER AVAAZ OR LAW ENFORCEMENT AUTHORITIES.
We cannot review all material before it is posted on the Website, and cannot ensure prompt removal of objectionable material after it has been posted. Accordingly, we assume no liability for any action or inaction regarding transmissions, communications or content provided by any user or third party. We have no liability or responsibility to anyone for performance or nonperformance of the activities described in this paragraph.
Content StandardsThese content standards apply to any and all User Contributions and Interactive Services. User Contributions must in their entirety comply with all applicable national, regional, federal, state, local and international laws and regulations. In addition, User Contributions must not:
- Contain any material which is defamatory, obscene, indecent, abusive, offensive, harassing, violent, hateful, inflammatory or otherwise objectionable.
- Promote sexually explicit or pornographic material, violence, or discrimination based on race, sex, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation or age.
- Be likely to deceive any person.
- Promote any illegal activity, or advocate, promote or assist any unlawful act.
- Be used to impersonate any person, or to misrepresent your identity or affiliation with any person or organization.
- Involve commercial activities or sales, such as contests, sweepstakes and other sales promotions, barter or advertising.
- Give the impression that they emanate from us or any other person or entity, if this is not the case.
Copyright Infringement and the Digital Millennium Copyright ActIf you believe that any User Contributions violate your copyright, you may notify us of your suspected copyright infringement. In accordance with the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) and other applicable law, it is the policy of Avaaz to terminate, in appropriate circumstances, the user accounts of users who are deemed to be repeat infringers.
Links from the WebsiteAs is typical online, this website and your posts to this website may contain hyperlinks to other sites. If there are other sites and resources linked to on this site, either by Avaaz or by you, these links are provided only for the convenience of our users. We have no control over the contents of those sites or resources, and therefore cannot accept responsibility for them or for any loss or damage that may arise from your use of them. If you decide to access any of the third party websites linked to this Website, you do so entirely at your own risk and subject to the terms and conditions of use for such websites.
Disclaimer of WarrantiesYou understand that we cannot and do not guarantee or warrant that files available for downloading from the internet or the Website will be free of viruses or other destructive code. You are responsible for implementing sufficient procedures and checkpoints to satisfy your particular requirements for anti-virus protection and accuracy of data input and output, and for maintaining a means external to our site for any reconstruction of any lost data. WE WILL NOT BE LIABLE FOR ANY LOSS OR DAMAGE CAUSED BY A DISTRIBUTED DENIAL-OF-SERVICE ATTACK, VIRUSES OR OTHER TECHNOLOGICALLY HARMFUL MATERIAL THAT MAY INFECT YOUR COMPUTER EQUIPMENT, COMPUTER PROGRAMS, DATA OR OTHER PROPRIETARY MATERIAL DUE TO YOUR USE OF THE WEBSITE OR ANY SERVICES OR ITEMS OBTAINED THROUGH THE WEBSITE OR TO YOUR DOWNLOADING OF ANY MATERIAL POSTED ON IT, OR ON ANY WEBSITE LINKED TO IT.
YOUR USE OF THE WEBSITE, ITS CONTENT AND ANY SERVICES OR ITEMS OBTAINED THROUGH THE WEBSITE IS AT YOUR OWN RISK. THE WEBSITE, ITS CONTENT AND ANY SERVICES OR ITEMS OBTAINED THROUGH THE WEBSITE ARE PROVIDED ON AN "AS IS" AND "AS AVAILABLE" BASIS, WITHOUT ANY WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED. NEITHER AVAAZ NOR ANY PERSON ASSOCIATED WITH AVAAZ MAKES ANY WARRANTY OR REPRESENTATION WITH RESPECT TO THE COMPLETENESS, SECURITY, RELIABILITY, QUALITY, ACCURACY OR AVAILABILITY OF THE WEBSITE. WITHOUT LIMITING THE FOREGOING, NEITHER AVAAZ NOR ANYONE ASSOCIATED WITH AVAAZ REPRESENTS OR WARRANTS THAT THE WEBSITE, ITS CONTENT OR ANY SERVICES OR ITEMS OBTAINED THROUGH THE WEBSITE WILL BE ACCURATE, RELIABLE, ERROR-FREE OR UNINTERRUPTED, THAT DEFECTS WILL BE CORRECTED, THAT OUR SITE OR THE SERVER THAT MAKES IT AVAILABLE ARE FREE OF VIRUSES OR OTHER HARMFUL COMPONENTS OR THAT THE WEBSITE OR ANY SERVICES OR ITEMS OBTAINED THROUGH THE WEBSITE WILL OTHERWISE MEET YOUR NEEDS OR EXPECTATIONS.
AVAAZ HEREBY DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, STATUTORY OR OTHERWISE, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO ANY WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, NON-INFRINGEMENT AND FITNESS FOR PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
THE FOREGOING DOES NOT AFFECT ANY WARRANTIES WHICH CANNOT BE EXCLUDED OR LIMITED UNDER APPLICABLE LAW.
Limitation on LiabilityIN NO EVENT WILL AVAAZ, ITS AFFILIATES OR THEIR LICENSORS, SERVICE PROVIDERS, EMPLOYEES, AGENTS, OFFICERS OR DIRECTORS BE LIABLE FOR DAMAGES OF ANY KIND, UNDER ANY LEGAL THEORY, ARISING OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH YOUR USE, OR INABILITY TO USE, THE WEBSITE, ANY WEBSITES LINKED TO IT, ANY CONTENT ON THE WEBSITE OR SUCH OTHER WEBSITES OR ANY SERVICES OR ITEMS OBTAINED THROUGH THE WEBSITE OR SUCH OTHER WEBSITES, INCLUDING ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, CONSEQUENTIAL OR PUNITIVE DAMAGES, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PERSONAL INJURY, PAIN AND SUFFERING, EMOTIONAL DISTRESS, LOSS OF REVENUE, LOSS OF PROFITS, LOSS OF BUSINESS OR ANTICIPATED SAVINGS, LOSS OF USE, LOSS OF GOODWILL, LOSS OF DATA, AND WHETHER CAUSED BY TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE), BREACH OF CONTRACT OR OTHERWISE, EVEN IF FORESEEABLE.
THE FOREGOING DOES NOT AFFECT ANY LIABILITY WHICH CANNOT BE EXCLUDED OR LIMITED UNDER APPLICABLE LAW.
Your Comments and ConcernsThis website is operated by Avaaz Foundation, 27 Union Square West Suite #500, New York, N.Y. All notices of copyright infringement claims should go to: [email protected], Avaaz Foundation, 27 Union Square West Suite #500, New York, N.Y.
All other feedback, comments, requests for technical support and other communications relating to the Website should be directed to: [email protected]
Thank you for visiting the Website..