On December 7th 2015 Moscow's Basmanny court sentenced civic activist Ildar Dadin to three years imprisonment for participating in peaceful protests. The court relied on amendments added to article 212 of the Russian Criminal Code in 2014 which criminalize political dissent. Dadin's conviction violates the right to freedom of speech and freedom of assembly guaranteed by the Russian Constitution. The verdict was politically motivated. We demand the immediate release of Ildar Dadin, and the repeal of article 212.1. We ask the governments of the European Union and the United States, European Parliament, Council of Europe to impose sanctions against persons who are responsible for his illegal conviction:
- Basmanny court judge Natalia Dudar (Наталья Дударь);
- Basmanny court judge Valentine Levashova (Валентина Левашова);
- Zamoskvoretskiy investigation department inquisitor Sergey Smirnov (Сергей Смирнов);
- Zamoskvoretskiy investigation department inquisitor Natalia Pototskaya (Наталья Потоцкая);
- Zamoskvoretskiy court judge Anton Kaveshnikov (Антон Кавешников);
- Moscow City Court judge Dmitry Grishin (Дмитрий Гришин).