SA's TASK TEAM ON HOMOPHIC HATE CRIMES TURN 2!
In May 2011,
South Africa's Department of Justice set up an TEMPORARY Task Team to
combat homophobic hate crimes comprising of representatives from Civil
Society and Governmental Departments.
The mission was to discuss initiatives to raise awareness, intervene with traditional leaders and to research and review prosecution of homophobic violence, even potentially passing a HATE CRIMES BILL!
HOWEVER THE TASK TEAM AS A BODY HAS NEVER:
- released a statement on any major LGBTI issue, homophobic attack, rape or murder to broader LGBTI or South African communities
- published progress or status report since its formation.
- attended LGBTI protests, hate crimes court cases or pride events.
ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!
BREAK THE SILENCE!
WE MUST GET THE FOLLOWING PEOPLE TO MAKE USE OF THEIR POSITION!
(Forum for the Empowerment of Women), Zethu Matabeni (Gay and Lesbian
Archives), Jill Henderson (Triangle Project) and Juan Nel (Unisa Centre
for Applied Psychology).
Dipika Nath (Human
Nokhwezi Hoboyi (Treatment Action
Gay Flag of South Africa, Funeka Soldaat of Free Gender (Lesbian Rape
NPO) and Laurie Gaum an LGBTI Spiritual Leader are asking you to LEND
WE DEMAND THAT THE TASK TEAM:
- set up channels of communication to broader LGBTI South Africa and South Africans in general.
- publish how to gain access to the Task Team for victims of
homophobic violence nor relevant NPO's.
- published and raised awareness of the status and progress of the Task Team.
- execute National or Regional caucuses as promised to:
-> escalate LGBTI community issues to government.
-> elect permanent Task Team Members.
HELP US HELP OURSELVES!
SIGN, SHARE AND CARE!