Update your Cookie Settings to use this feature.
Click 'Allow All' or just activate the 'Targeting Cookies'
By continuing you accept Avaaz's Privacy Policy which explains how your data can be used and how it is secured.
Got it
We use cookies to analyse how visitors use this website and to help us provide you the best possible experience. View our Cookie Policy .
Change Cricket

Change Cricket

5,136 have signed. Let's get to 7,500
5,136 Supporters


Complete your signature

By continuing you agree to receive Avaaz emails. Our Privacy Policy will protect your data and explains how it can be used. You can unsubscribe at any time. If you are under 13 years of age in the USA or under 16 in the rest of the world, please get consent from a parent or guardian before proceeding.
This petition has been created by Death O. and may not represent the views of the Avaaz community.
Death O.
started this petition to
The Sports Ministers of Britain, India and Australia
Cricket is the second most popular sport in the world but is being run into the ground due to the self-interest of its three richest members – Australia, England and India. Meanwhile we, the fans who contribute so much to the game, have no idea how or where our money is spent while our game shrinks. Let’s save this great game by demanding our governments tackle the culture of greed that is destroying cricket.

This isn’t just a sporting issue. When FIFA’s ruling body was exposed for rampant corruption, people stood up to protect a game loved by billions around the world. We must do the same for cricket. In the name of money and greed, cricket’s oligarchs have awarded themselves the majority of the game’s multi-billion dollar TV revenues , kicked out poorer cricketing nations from the World Cup, and connived to award their three countries every major global event until at least 2023!


Let’s demand our governments -- elected representatives charged with protecting sport -- force their respective cricket boards to reform our beloved game and #changecricket before it’s too late. Sign now.


England, Australia and India’s cricket boards dominate the International Cricket Council, the sport’s ruling body -- last year shamefully awarding themselves 52% of the ICC’s billion-dollar global television revenues , leaving the other 102 cricketing countries the remaining 48%.

Cricket continues to shun millions of dollars of government funding around the world by refusing to become an Olympic sport -- money which would support the sport at grassroots level in developing nations and give valuable opportunities to the next generation of players worldwide . Pressure is building on the ICC with the release a new documentary, 'Death of a Gentleman', which is making media headlines for exposing the elite’s hijacking of cricket -- where billion-dollar decisions are made without even basic accountability and transparency.


Independent governance is the only way cricket can deal with the problems caused by the huge influx of television money -- as recommended in a 2012 report by the former Lord Chief Justice, Lord Woolf. But the report was rejected by the board of the ICC within days, and two years later saw a power grab by the boards of the three most powerful member nations.

Now is the time to act. Let’s call on our sports ministers to demand the national cricket boards of Australia, England and India implement the recommendations made in the Woolf Report -- independent governance with basic transparency and accountability -- to save cricket as a global game. Let’s join together and create a global outcry to urge our governments to act, and #changecricket once and for all.

With hope,
Sam Collins, Jarrod Kimber and the Avaaz team

More information:
#ChangeCricket: http://www.changecricket.com

The Woolf Report: http://static.espncricinfo.com/db/DOWNLOAD/0000/0093/woolfe_report.pdf

Transparency International: “Fair Play: Strengthening Integrity and Transparency in Cricket” http://issuu.com/transparencyinternational/docs/2013_fairplaycricket_en?e=2496456/5641906.

Posted (Updated )