University of Saskatchewan: Postdocs Deserve a Living Wage!
Let's get to
Complete your signature
By continuing you agree to receive Avaaz emails. Our
will protect your data and explains how it can be used. You can unsubscribe at any time. If you are under 13 years of age in the USA or under 16 in the rest of the world, please get consent from a parent or guardian before proceeding.
This petition has been created by PSAC 4. and may not represent the views of the Avaaz community.
On behalf of postdocs, your elected bargaining team has been meeting representatives of the University of Saskatchewan since October 4th, 2017 to obtain a collective agreement to improve Postdocs working conditions. In March, 2018 we exchanged proposals on the monetary portion of the agreement. The monetary issues include salaries, leaves and other benefits.
In response, the University of Saskatchewan
IS PROPOSING NO WAGE INCREASES WHATSOEVER
! This is despite the fact that our wages are among the lowest of all academic members on campus.
On other priorities, the U of S is proposing very little. The University of Saskatchewan has said
to all of our proposals to provide some funding for Postdocs’ professional development.
The benefits the U of S is proposing
cover extended health, vision care, dental care for dependents or a number of other benefits that are offered to almost all other full-time employees at the University. So, what they are offering does not go far enough.
Here is a brief summary of the issues that are currently on the table:
• Significant increases to the minimum salary for Postdocs as well as reasonable increases in each year
• Access to a wide range of benefits: health and dental benefits, life insurance, the USask pension plan and personal and health care spending accounts
• Ensuring that EI and CPP apply to Postdocs
• Making sure that Postdocs are considered Employees for all purposes
• A professional development fund accessible to all Postdocs
• Reasonable amounts of vacation and sick leave
• Numerous other leaves, including for maternity, bereavement, and for personal reasons
We need your help to successfully push back and get the fair contract we deserve.
PLEASE, SHOW THE UNIVERSITY THAT YOU SUPPORT US BY SIGNING THIS PETITION.
Let’s remind the University of Saskatchewan that Postdocs are people too!
For more information: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDpSy9_CnZ8&t=18s; or contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org / facebook.com/PSACLocal40004