Subvertising Norway is a non-profit network of artists, activists and environmentalists raising awareness about who has the power to communicate messages and create meaning in public space.
We are calling on the Planning and Building Authority (Plan- og bygningsetaten) to review Oslo´s Signage and Advertising Plan (Skilt og reklameplan for Oslo) in light of public concerns regarding the negative effects of outdoor advertising.
The current Signage and Advertising Plan for Oslo was published in 2013 and should be reviewed on this principle alone. Furthermore, the advancement of the global climate crisis
and critical understanding of the intimate relationship between advertising, consumerism and widespread ecological breakdown has necessitated a more rigorous and democratic
approach to the regulation of outdoor advertising on a public health basis.
In light of these facts we are calling on the Planning and Building Authority for Oslo to incorporate the following measures into an updated Signage and Advertising Plan:
- introduce advertising-free zones around kindergartens and schools (as stated in the current Miljøpartiet De Grønne manifesto)
- make public an overview of the income generated by the city from advertising-funded agreements
- consultation on alternatives to advertising-funded agreements for Oslo´s city furniture and bike-sharing scheme (Oslo Bysykkel)
- consultation on the feasibility of committing 51% of all outdoor advertising space to public art projects
- special measures to address public concerns about outdoor advertising as part of Oslo´s role as European Environment Capital for 2019
Please show your support by signing and sharing this petition.
Posted: 9 May 2019 (Updated: 8 September 2019)