Petition created by Melanie Bouffard with
As the 5th generation (5G) of wireless communication technology is being deployed in Ireland, we, citizens, residents and friends of Ireland, ask that the Government respects our right to a healthy life and environment, which is being threatened by the installation of 5G. We ask that the Irish Government hold back on this deployment as other countries and cities such as Brussels have done.
In the words of Celine Fremault, Belgium’s Environment Minister, “I cannot welcome such technology (...). The people of Brussels are not guinea pigs whose health I can sell at a profit. We cannot leave anything to doubt.” (Brussels Time, 1st April 2019) (1)
In particular, we ask that the Government take action to protect our most vulnerable citizens – children, pregnant women, the elderly, sick and electro-hypersensitive individuals.
Radio-frequency/electromagnetic wireless radiation (RF/EMF) from masts, mobile phones or ‘smart’ devices, has never been proven safe, and the evidence of biological effects is already overwhelming.
The limits of exposure in Ireland are those compiled in 1998 by ICNIRP, whose guidelines are based on short-term exposure and thermal effects only. These guidelines were voted “out of date”
by the European Parliament in 2008. They do not adhere to the Precautionary Principle.
Clear evidence of harm at non-thermal levels has been found in numerous scientific studies undertaken by independent respected scientists. The BioInitiative Summary for the Public (2014 Supplement) (2)
based on over two thousand peer-reviewed studies
provides an insight into the potential adverse health effects of RF/EMF at non-thermal levels.
In May 2011 the World Health Organisation and International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC) classified EMF/RF as a Class 2B Carcinogen (3). This applies to radiation from mobile phones, phone masts and antennae, Wifi, smart meters, wireless computer and devices, and all applications of technology on the RF/EMF spectrum.
More recently the US National Toxicology Program (NTP) $25m (4) animal study on mobile phones and the Italian Ramazzini Institute (5) animal study on mobile phone masts reported the same findings in connection with cancer.
The Government has chosen to ignore the conclusions of thousands of studies, as well as important EU Parliament recommendations such as Resolution 1815 (2011)
on ‘The potential dangers of electromagnetic fields and their effect on the environment’.
Now that it has been proven that EMF/RF can be hazardous, we request that:
- the Government halt the deployment of 5G until more research has been done to assess its true impact on humans and all forms of life.
- severe restrictions be placed on Wi-Fi connections in schools, hospitals and places visited by children and vulnerable people, with a strong preference given to wired connections
- the functional/environmental disorder Electro-hypersensitivity be recognised by the Government as it is in some E.U. countries e.g. Sweden
- awareness campaigns be set up aimed at the general public, to inform them of the potential health hazards linked to masts, 'smart’ devices and mobile phones.
- the roll out of "smart" meters be halted, as these expose people to harmful electromagnetic frequencies and to other hazards, such as fire and hacking. Preference should be given to a safer, wired analogue network.
STOP THIS EXPERIMENT ON HUMANS, ALL LIVING THINGS, THE ENVIRONMENT AND CLIMATE UNTIL ITS SAFETY HAS BEEN TESTED.
Posted: 8 June 2019 (Updated: 2 August 2019)