Quebecor created a "Fox News North" to model the kind of hate-filled propaganda with which Fox News has poisoned U.S. politics. The channel is run by PM Harper’s former top aide and so far it doesn't have enough of an audience to survive. But now it's applying to the CRTC to be forcibly added to all of our basic cable packages!
Let’s make sure we’re not forced to pay for this by sending an urgent message to Canada’s TV regulator, the CRTC – it’ll only take 1 minute!
Here some tips on what to say:
- As a citizen concerned about maintaining proper standards in our media, I urge you to deny the Sun News Network's application for mandatory distribution on the digital basic service.
- Sun News TV’s content is destructive to Canada’s long-standing tradition of responsible media and only hinders discussion or debate.
- The caustic and offensive content on Sun News utterly fails to meet the CRTC’s criteria for mandatory distribution – to “safeguard, enrich and strengthen the cultural, political, social and economic fabric of Canada.”
- Examples of this poisonous content include their anchors saying on air: “These are gypsies, a culture synonymous with swindlers.....And they come here to gyp us again and rob us blind as they have done in Europe for centuries.” And telling an Hispanic critic of the oil sands to “Chinga tu madre”, or “F*** your mother”.
- Canadians should not be forced to pay for a network which has been sanctioned for an ethics violation and has been the subject of complaints of offensiveness and racism.